A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform


Age ain't Nothing but a Number...

age
[eyj]noun, verb, aged, ag-ing or age-ing.

a period of human life, measured by years from birth, usually marked by a certain stage or degree of mental or physical development and involving legal responsibility and capacity: the age of discretion; the age of consent; The state raised the drinking age from 18 to 21 years.

I'm 21. NYS ID proves it. 1.9.8.7.

However, I have never portrayed the age I was. From my childhood, I was expected to act older than I was. My responsibilities weren't the same as my peers. Saying childhood is a bit of a stretch.

Mentally, I've always been older. I don't look at situations the way I'm expected to. I don't handle what life throws at me the way people tell me I should. I'm just different. I grew up and the only people I considered friends were my older aunts and cousin. I was 13 hanging with 22 year olds. I credit them with how I am, mostly. I didn't really branch out to allow people my age into my life until high school. I felt it was inevitable. Even now, I'm attracted to people who think similarly to me. I've never been one for childish demeanors.

Physically, I've always looked younger. Every female in my family does. When I was in HS, I didn't carry myself as normal teenage girls but it was who I was. Truancy never stopped me. I was never approached by the cops when I would cut and take the long ride to Staten Island. UNTIL, I graduated. Nowadays, I get stopped by the police when I'm outside before noon...even asked for ID. This is why I don't understand how I have never been carded when purchasing alcoholic beverages! NOT ONCE! And, I've bought LOTS! I know I'm very seventeen-in-the-face. The HS boys ask me for my myspace often. Hmph!

Internally...in that beating heart of mine, I'm a child. I mean that in more than one sense. I'm a free spirit. I hate rules. I throw tantrums. I want my way! I like toys and games and animated movies. I like slides and jungle gyms and swings. I enjoy trips to FAO Schwartz and Toys R' Us. I go crazy for Play-Doh!!! I'm a kid at heart. That would make sense as to why I don't deal with things emotionally. Kids don't get caught up into that shit. You push me down, I'm your friend tomorrow. We have life ahead of us, no need to make enemies. I just say, "Fuck it" and move along like an all-american reject.

No comments: